Frequently asked questions
- Why Crimperman?
- Where do you live?
- What do you believe?
- What’s with the sheep?
- Any chance of bigger/higher res wallpapers?
- Can I use the wallpapers/cartoons in my church powerpoint
- Can I alter the wallpapers/cartoons – e.g. change the scripture version?
- Your name is familiar, do you do other stuff?
It’s a nickname I picked up at work once. Basically I used to make up (crimp) network cables and the name grew from there. When I first joined the web community I didn’t want to be some obscure set of name and numbers given by the ISP so I picked something I thought would be unique.
Where do you live?
I live in Chigwell in Essex, UK. I have done for most of my life. I am married with one son and one daughter (see I do update this page!) a dog who sometimes thinks she’s a cat and a cat who is responsible for that . I attend Hainault Evangelical Church where I am (among other things) co-Youthworker (with my wife) and (for want of a better term) worship leader.
What do you believe?
I tend not to like labels and thus describe myself simply as a Christian. I am aware that term means different things to different people and I believe that we are defined by what we believe (or not). Hopefully my beliefs are evident through the work on this site. But if not I believe…
- in one God, creator of all things, Father of all people. He is holy and loving, friendly and fearsome, good and scary, all knowing, all seeing, wise beyond our understanding and simple enough to trust, beyond time and space.
- in Jesus Christ, God’s only son, who was before all things, came to earth, was born of a virgin, lived and was crucified on a cross and rose again after three days. He then ascended to be with God and will one day return to rule the earth (no I don’t know when).
- in the person and works of the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Godhead. I don’t claim to fully understand how the Trinity works but I have too often experienced the presence and effects, collectively and individually, of all three persons in my life to deny it.
- that Jesus Christ is the only way to God and that there is nothing we can do to earn our way to God. His grace, provided through Jesus is sufficient.
- that life is a gift from God, even before it is saved, and as such it should be used to the best of our ability to worship God and serve others.
- in the Bible as the word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit, written by people with all the flaws, nuances and contradictions such a process would naturally involve. I believe it is true but it does contradict itself at times (I grow more comfortable with this as I get older). I don’t believe one particular translation, interpretation or authorship is better than others. I don’t always understand it and not all of it always makes perfect sense. I’m pretty much fine with that.
- in prayer. It works – try it and see.
- that God loves you (and me).
What’s with the sheep?
The sheep at the top of the site is called Stew – he’s kind of a mascot and he’s followed me around (I use him as an avatar) for several years now. I keep threatening to put him in a cartoon one day but I don’t think he’s holding his breath on that one. Update Stew has achieved his dream and has a starring role in my Crimpertoons series. I’m not sure he’s going to like the way he’s portrayed though.
Any chance of bigger/higher res wallpapers?
The ones on here at present were made some time back when 800×600 @ 16 bit was the higher average for desktop sizes. I’ve lost track of the original artwork now so to resize them will result in some horrible jaggies. If I get a chance I’ll re-do them and I also am planning on adding some more sometime.
Can I use the wallpapers in my church powerpoint/posters/bulletin?
You can use them in any way you want so long as it’s not a commercial venture. My interpretation of that is that so long as your church and/or bulletin is non-profit you can use the wallpapers.
Can I alter the wallpapers/cartoons – e.g. change the scripture version?
Yes you can. So long as the version you produce acknowledges where you got the original. So your new copy should say somewhere on it “Based on an original work by Ryan Cartwright – http://www.crimperman.org”. In addition if you share the new copy you must do so under the same licence. That means you cannot stop people from copying or changing your version and you cannot allow people to use your version in a commercial sense.
Your name is familiar, do you do other stuff?
I’ve been involved in free and open source software advocacy and work for some time now so it’s possible you’ve heard of me in that context. I write for Free Software Magazine for whom I also do the weekly Bizarre Cathedral cartoon strip.
Aside from that I am a freelance web-developer and consultant. If you would like to know about hiring me for web design & development or data management work, please go to my professional site: Equitas IT Solutions. I’m happy to quote for work for churches and/or Christian organisations (as well as others of course).
One final point, there are some who see my name and confuse me with an actor who (apparently) was in ‘The Grimleys’ and ‘Bones’. That’s not me (he’s younger and better looking – so I am told). If you are looking for information on him – this ain’t the place to find it. IMDB might help though.